Reggie Fils-Aime Rumors A New Super Smash Bros.
During an interview yesterday, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime made a statement that strongly suggested that a Super Smash Bros. game will come to the Nintendo Switch. He told Katie Linendoll during a Facebook livestream interview:
“Smash is obviously one of our best-selling franchises. What we say is that the philosophy that Nintendo has from a development standpoint is that for every platform, we want to have at least one [each] of our classic franchises.
“There’s gonna be one great Super Mario experience, there’s gonna be great Zelda experience, so you can expect, you can anticipate at some point in the future, who knows when, that all of our franchises will be addressed. We know that the fans love these games, love this content, so stay tuned.”
As Fils-Aime said, Smash Bros. is just one of many of Nintendo’s best-known and best-selling franchise so it would be more surprising if a game in the series did not come to Switch. Espically considering that the Wii U/3DS game sold more than 5 million copies on Wii U and more than 8.5 million units for 3DS.
Here are some other takeaways from the Fils-Aime interview:
- Netflix and other streaming apps are coming to Switch in “due time.”
- Could Switch get a WWE 2K game? “We’ll see what happens.”
- The Switch launch has no impact on 3DS launch; Nintendo is still committed.
- He’s seen five-day Switch sales figures and it’s still the fastest-selling Nintendo system ever.
- Nintendo isn’t making anything for VR/AR yet because it’s still a relatively niche market. Nintendo might get involved if it thinks it could be appealing to a wider audience.
What do you think about it? Would you buy a Nintendo Switch (if you already havent) just to play a new Super Smash Brothers? Tweet at us and let us know!
Johnny and his beard are seeking sunshine and a beach. He can’t wait for summer! Check out his ramblings on Twitter at @SomeBeardy2Love